Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Reagan's Navy Secretary to Run for the Senate as a Democrat

When I saw the headline, "Reagan Navy Secretary Will Run for U.S. Senate" in the Washington Post, I almost didn't read the article. But I did, and to me it's a significant story:
RICHMOND, Feb. 7 -- James Webb, who served as President Ronald Reagan's Navy secretary, said Tuesday that he will seek the Democratic nomination to run against U.S. Sen. George Allen (R-Va.) this year, hoping to challenge the one-term incumbent on foreign policy and the conduct of the war in Iraq.
That's right, Reagan's Navy Secretary will run for the U.S. Senate--as a Democrat. Harris Miller, who recently quit his job as head of the Information Technology Association of America, is also seeking the nomination.
I don't know much about either candidate, but I'm happy to welcome Webb, a decorated Vietnam veteran, to the Party. And for those who are uncomfortable with former Republicans running as Democrats, here's how it works: When enough folks cross over from the other side to our side, we win.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home